Frequently Asked Questions


Children Services

Early Intervention

I'd like to enroll my child in the Early Intervention Program. What is the first step?

The first step is a referral. A parent may contact the EI program directly, or a pediatrician, a hospital, a social worker, or others may refer the child, with the consent of the family.

Where are services delivered?

Many services take place in the child's home, but may also occur at one of our EI centers, child care center, or community setting. The frequency of services and delivery options will be written in and Individualized Family Service Plan.

How much does the Early Intervention program cost?

Services are at no cost to families. Rhode Island state law does require commercial insurance carriers operating in Rhode Island to cover early intervention services.


Pathways Teaching Center

How can I enroll my child at Pathways Strategic Teaching Center?

All referrals to Pathways should be made in writing by the local educational authority of the city or town in which the child resides.

What is Applied Behavior Analysis?

ABA is defined as the process of systematically applying interventions based upon the principles of learning theory to improve socially significant behaviors to a meaningful degree, and to demonstrate that the interventions employed are responsible for the improvement in behavior.

What is the ratio of teachers to students at Pathways?

A one-to-one ratio of teachers to students is typically utilized, although small and large group activities may be provided for students who achieve the skills to learn in such settings.


Crayons Center

What does it mean to be "fully inclusive"?

Crayon's nationally accredited program serves as a leader in providing developmentally appropriate, family centered programming for young children. We provide a meaningful curriculum for all children which incorporates the individual needs and interests of children.

How does Crayons support each child's individual development?

Our staff provides appropriate play experiences that respond to each child's individual development across eight learning domains: Approaches to Learning, Social–emotional Development, Language development and Communication, Literacy, Mathematics, Science, Creativity and Physical Health and Development.


How can I enroll my child in recreational activities?

Download the Children's Recreation Registration Packet and send it to: Adam Johnson, Children's Recreation Coordinator, 3445 Post Road, Warwick, RI 02886. Please note that Children's Recreation requires that you sign up one week prior to your desired activity.

Are one-to-one services provided?

We do not provide one to one services with the exception of camp. If your child requires one to one staffing, if possible, send someone with them or contact the Children's Recreation department prior to activity.

What do the programs cost?

Cost of weekly recreational activities will vary dependent upon the activity. Activities that require transportation and admission fees will be incorporated into the cost of the activity.

Are there any age requirements?

In order to participate in the Children's Recreation Program children must between the ages of 5 and 20 years old. Each parent or guardian must attend an orientation meeting with the Children's Recreation Coordinator.


Children's Home Based Services

How do I get my child involved in the Home Based Children's Services program?

Contact a CEDARR Family Center for evaluation, diagnosis, & referral.

What is CEDARR?

CEDARR Family Centers offers families information on specific disabilities, treatment options and referrals to community supports and assistance for their child with special needs. CEDARR stands for: Comprehensive Evaluation, Diagnosis, Referral and Re-evaluation.

How do I contact CEDARR?

For more information go to:



Adult Services

Community Support Services

How does CSS address an individual's specific needs?

CSS provides services and supports that are goal oriented. Each individual has a support agreement that includes specific goals and expectations. We offer teaching programs to assist the individual in self-care, daily living and social development.

Who is eligible to receive Community Support Services?

Individuals who live at home with their families or live in apartments on their own may access CSS.

How are individual support plans developed?

All planning and decision-making for individualized supports are developed in a partnership with the individual and their family.


Adult Day Services

My child has never had a job. Is he eligible for the Employment Concepts program?

Employment Concepts supports anyone interested in preparing for, finding and maintaining meaningful, competitively waged, and integrated employment in the community.

Are work readiness assessments provided?

Situational Assessments are provided in collaboration with the Office of Rehabilitation Services for a period of 10 days at one of our partner sites.

Do you offer workplace skills training?

Pre-vocational training opportunities are offered to help participants develop skills toward employment. Trainings include our Work Readiness class that focuses on employment seeking skills, interviewing, appearance, barriers to employment, interpersonal skills and resume writing.



What type of home environment can I expect for my child?

To the greatest extent possible, people live in the type of home environment which best meets their wishes and needs.

What opportunities for community-based activities do you provide?

The adults supported are always given opportunities to be actively involved in their household and community. Activities range from horseback riding, apple picking, and fishing to bus trips and cruises. Watching the Red Sox, Patriots and Paw Sox games are always favorites!


Adult Recreation

Does the Trudeau Center offer recreation and social activities all year?

Yes. Specialized activities aimed at providing full community participation and safe physical fitness opportunities are offered year round.

What types of activies are offered in the recreation package?

We offer hundreds of community and in-house activities, including outings to Dave & Busters, Providence Bruins, Therapeutic Drumming, dances, bowling and movies.


Support Coordination

How can I benefit from Support Coordination Services?

Support Coordinators are able to coordinate services and supports for the individual and their families. They promote person-centered focus that supports dignity, protects individual rights and furthers the The Trudeau Center's mission to enhance the quality of life for individuals with developmental disabilities.

Who will help create an Individualized Service Plan?

Your Direct Support Professional will create the ISP. Families are an important part of this process and we encourage your participation.


Shared Living

How can I become a Shared Living Provider?

We are continuously recruiting quality individuals and families who want to share their lives and homes with an adult with a developmental disability. Use our online form to let us know you'd like to become a provider. You can also download the application to become a contractor at this link.

How does a Shared Living arrangement benefit people with disabilities?

Shared Living Arrangements can have a significant positive impact on the quality of life of people with disabilities. The consistency of both relationships and routine in a regular family household are just two of the positive and highly desirable features of this model.


Self Directed

What makes the WORKS FOR ME Program different from the traditional system?

The WORKS FOR ME payroll agent model allows people to take control of all support resources already at their disposal. Functions such as plan development, funds allocation, hiring people you choose, contracting, scheduling and supervision are all at your command.

If enrolled in this program, would I become an employee of The Trudeau Center?

The WORKS FOR ME role is that of a payroll agent or fiscal intermediary. Employees are not employees of J. Arthur Trudeau Memorial Center.